Conditions of employment after quitting current employer

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Conditions of employment after quitting current employer

I am currently working for a IT consulting company. I have signed employment conditions of agreement saying I will not provide my professional services for the client directly or indirectly with whom I am working now as part of my company. Now I have got opportunity from a competitor company to work for the same client but a different part of their business. Is this considered as breach of agreement? Can my current employer file any lawsuit against me?

Asked on October 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, this would be a breach. You will be providing your services indirectly (through the competitor, even if you will be in a different part of the business) to the client, which the agreement you describe prohibits. You could potentially be sued, either for monetary compensation if they can show any loss or damages attributable to your competition, and/or for a court order barring you from doing any work in any way for the client.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption