How to bestcollect salary owed to me?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to bestcollect salary owed to me?

How can I get money owed to me from a truck driving company for mileage driven? They say they have not been paid. Should I contact broker and try to tie up the money so company cannot receive it without paying me? Can I legally park truck until paid or should I continue driving? I am not an employee; I get a 1099 for my pay.

Asked on February 23, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) Legally, it does not matter whether the company has been paid--they still owe you the money whether or not they've been paid by their own clients. So you have grounds to sue them for the money owed you; if you were an employee (see below) you could also contact your state labor department for help.

2) You have no grounds to get their money tied up or encumbered, except in one narrow circumstance--if you sue them and win, you may be able to garnish or encumber funds owed the company. Otherwise, you can't "tie up" their money.

3) Sometimes people called "independent contractors" are in fact employees who've been misclassified; if you are, the company may owe you overtime and benefits and have to pay the employer share of FICA for you. If you own your own truck you're probably an independent contractor, but if you drive a company provided vehicle, you may well be an employee. Contact the federal dept. of labor or go their rules  to see when a driver like yourself is an employee or not; and when, as an employee (if you are), you may be eligible for overtime. Being given a 1099 does not, by itself, guaranty that you're a contractor.

4) Whether you should drive or not depends on the following:

a) If you're an employee, you can quit; but if you are an employee and refuse to drive, you'd be fired for cause. You can't withhold use of a company vehicle.

b) If you're an independent contractor, unless you've already contracted to do more runs, you can stop driving; if you have contracted for work and dont' do it, you'd be in breach of contract.

c) You also need to, within the parametes above, figure out if economically it makes sense to drive when you're having difficulty being paid.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption