Citation for driving with out insurance but i didnt know because it was my vehicle.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Citation for driving with out insurance but i didnt know because it was my vehicle.

Good Morning I had a question. Not to long ago, I was involved in a small accident. Nothing major happened, we just scratched each other paint. the problem is I wasn’t driving my car at the time, I was driving my cousin and she told me she had insurance on her car and it turns out she didn’t. so they gave me a citation for driving with no insurance. they impounded her car and told her she can get the car out once it has insurance, so she got the car out the next day. but she doesn’t want to give me a copy to me so I can get my ticket dismissed. what can I do? I cant afford to get another ticket especially if she does have insurance on her car. this happened in the city of DALLAS

Asked on April 2, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can hire an attorney for the limited purpose of helping you draft a subpoena duces tecum to require your cousin to appear in court and to bring the proof of insurance with her.  She can then be required to tender a copy to the court so that you have verification that there was insurance on the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption