How does child support work?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How does child support work?

My former girlfriend is expecting a baby in 4 months. She and I will no longer pursue further family possibilities. I want to obviously do what any responsible man should do, and contribute monetarilyto my child’s assistance; as well as spending time with them. Should I wait for her to file vs doing it myself once birth takes place? Also, the child will need insurance, is that included in child support? Lastly, is there a program where you pay the state directly on time as opposed to it being deducted from your pay?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to be congratulated for stepping up to the plate and inquiring about your responsibilities in this matter rather than just sitting back and waiting for things to catch up with you.  You have two options here: one is to establish a parenting plan between you privately (but with an attorney) and establishing child support pursuant to the child support guidelines in Michigan; or you can go through the state through the Office of Court Services, which will also help you do both. The particulars of the child support model used in Michigan are best known to an attorney in your state and I would consider consulting with one to discuss the options fully before making a decision which way to go.  Good luck to you.,4562,7-124-5453_5528_41276---,00.html

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption