Child custody/support

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Child custody/support

My wife and I are divorcing, she wants me to have custody of our son. I do not want her to have to pay child support, we have agreed on all the arrangements, ?, will she have to pay child support if I DO NOT want it???

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This isn't a simple question, particularly since I'm not a Texas attorney and I don't have all of the facts of your case, including among other things the financial circumstances.  You should have an experienced lawyer in your area review the "details," for reliable advice here.  One place to look for an attorney is our website,

Ordinarily, courts are very much in favor of negotiated settlements in divorce cases, both because it saves the court system and the parties to the divorce a lot of time, money and aggravation.  But there are some courts that frown on arrangements like this, because the child support is seen as something due the child, not the receiving parent, and which the receiving parent shouldn't have the right to give up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption