How long can my employer keep me in limbo over my job status after randomdrug test?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can my employer keep me in limbo over my job status after randomdrug test?

I was sent for random drug test and suspended awaiting outcome. I have called daily for 10 days and am being told they will call me back. I need to work as I have bills to pay. If they are going to fire me (I know marijuana will come up), they need to tell me. Or if they are giving me second chance or a rehab opportunity, I will be happy to oblige.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have an office policy manuel at work concerning your employment, you need to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions will set forth the protocol for the drug testing procedure and test results.

You need to realize that it takes time to have the drug test analyzed and the results do take time to be printed up where a report is generated to your employer. Your employer then needs to review the report with the testing agency and to discuss its results with someone who can discuss it.

Based upon the results, the employer then needs to decide what the outcome will be regarding you. If you are anxious about the drug testing results, you might want to contact your human resources department to discuss the current situation.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption