charged with 2 misdemeanors can bond be denied?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

charged with 2 misdemeanors can bond be denied?

son in jail charged with possession of paraphernalia and unauthorized use of motor vehicle both misdemeanors.In jail since 12/26/18. No bond no preliminary hearing. Is this legal?

Asked on January 1, 2019 under Criminal Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Bond can be denied if there is reason to believe that he is a sufficient flight risk (that he'll skip despite a bond) or that he is threat to other people (people can be held pending trial to protect others). This would usually not be the case with the misdemeanors you describe, but are possibilities. You should retain a criminal defense attorney for him--to not just help force a hearing on a bond and get him out for now, but to help with the underlying charges, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption