What happens ifI do not turn myself in on my surrender date?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens ifI do not turn myself in on my surrender date?

I am due to turn myself in on 01/21. I asked to be put back on calendar so I could ask for another week since I cannot secure childcare for my son until then. The thing is. I am worried that I will not be put on the calendar to ask in time before the 21st. Will I be in trouble for not turning myself in and waiting for my new court date so I could tell them the child care situation?

Asked on January 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an attorney assigned to your case?  Please contact them and try and call the court if you do not have an attorney.  Please do not violate the surrender date.  There can be all sorts of ramifications to it and you have a small child to worry about.  Keep calling the court and tell them that you need to have the matter heard before the surrender date.  And if worse comes to worse, go on the surrender date and ask the court to be heard.  Make the application then and explain the situation.  The court should be sympathetic to you and give you an adjournment.  Good luck to you through everything and to your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption