Car Accident

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Car Accident

My daughter was involved in a car accident .She is 18 years old. The other driver was injured and he is looking to possibly sue us. The car my daughter was driving was in my father in laws name and the car was totaled out . Can we be held liable for the loss suit? In this case what should we do?

Asked on May 2, 2018 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your question indicates that she is "8 years old," but we will assume that is a typo and that you mean she is 18. 
If she is 18, she is a legal adult: as such, you are not responsible for her accident unless she was driving your car--a car's owner is responsible when a person whom he or she allows to drive his or her car is at fault in an accident.
If she was driving your father-in-law's car, he could be liable if she was at fault in the accident: that is driving carelessly or negligently. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption