Can/Should I sue my former manager?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can/Should I sue my former manager?

My former property management manager recently shared with a supervisor in another sector that I left on bad terms with the company so therefore I cannot attend a community event I was invited to on the property. This information was then given to an associate and the associate was told to let me know I cannot attend and she was disappointed in knowing I left on bad terms. I attended the event, knowing that legally I can attend and that I left the company voluntarily. My former manager asked to speak to me and told me she did not want me there and that is why I had to leave. No other reason was given. She then threatened to call law enforcement to have me removed and according to various witnesses, she called and then ended up canceling the request. I was still inside the building, however. She is now trying to prevent me from attending all community events. I spoke with HR and was told I was in good standing with the company and should I want to reapply, I can do so and should have no issues should I qualify. I am unsure of the retaliation by my former manager. Upon leaving, she mentioned only good things about me and my work. Now she is making it difficult to attend community events should they be held on the property. I live in the community and know many residents and hope to partner with many others for various activities. The recent events I fear will make it difficult. I would also like to mention that my former manager is withholding money owed to me for mileage reimbursement. I did not pursue it because I already left and did not want to cause any issues or complications. Now that this issue has arised I would like to receive what is owed to me no matter how small.

Asked on December 17, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue for this. An employer has an absolute right to keep former employees from its property--the company's property is its property, and you have no right to be on it. Just as you could invite all your neighbors but for one you don't like to a holiday party you are throwing, and that one you fail to invite would not have grounds or right to go to your party or enter your property, so, too, can the company keep you off its grounds. Upper management could reverwse or overturn what this manager or supervisor has done, since they can always overrule lower-level management; but unless and until they do, you can't go on their property or to events on their property. This may be unfair, but it is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption