Can you appeal a parole violation?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you appeal a parole violation?

My boyfriend was sentenced to 58 months for controlled sustance on 12/17/07. He served a couple weeks short of a year. He was accepted to the CIP program and spent 6 months there before being released on 10/28/08. He was realeased on ISR at that time. He was doing very well until he made a bad choice to drink alcohol. He failed a breathalizer and that was in violation of his parole. He had his parole hearing this morning and they sent him back to prison. That is all I really know at this time but I was curious if you can appeal a parole violation.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

No, this was his chance and he ruined it.  Basically, he was close and decided to make an irresponsible decision.  At this point, he needs to think about his decision and hire a private criminal defense attorney or speak to his public defender.

Try and check his or her record at the Minnesota State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption