can you and your cosigner terminate a rental lease when a PPO has been filed against the abuser who lives with me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can you and your cosigner terminate a rental lease when a PPO has been filed against the abuser who lives with me?

Grandmother cosigned a rental lease for me.My boyfriend and our child are listed
as occupants.I am being abused and am filing a report on that and want to leave
.Will I or my grandmother still be liable for breaking the lease?

Asked on April 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot terminate the lease without penalty: you and your grandmother are liable for all rent due under the lease for its full remaining term or duration, even if you are suffering abuse. The lease is a contract between you and your grandmother on the one hand and the landlord on the other; that contract is not affected by what another person who is not a party to the lease does, and the fact that your boyfriend may be abusing you is not, to be blunt, the landlord's fault, issue, or concern. The landlord's right to the rent is not affected by what is happening bewteen your boyfriend and you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption