Canyou get a citation dismissed if any part of the name on it is wrong?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canyou get a citation dismissed if any part of the name on it is wrong?

My middle initial was wrong. I can see how you can say its a simple typo but it was handwritten and the cop had my driver’s license to copy it from. The police report has the same info on it too. This is not the name I was born with. I’m not trying to get out of taking responsibility of the citation but it’s just not my name.

Asked on October 14, 2011 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A typo, even if it's a "dumb" one (i.e how could the officer possibly have gotten it wrong) will have NO effect on the validity of a citation as long as it is otherwise clear who you are and that you are the person the officer issued the citation to. So assuming either that there is other information on the citation clearly identifying you (e.g. your license number; make and model of your car; your home address; your car's license plate; etc.) or that the officer will come into court to testify at need that yes, you are the person he cited, then the incorrect middle initial will have no impact. Only if you could somehow prove that you are not the person in the citation, and it was sent to you in error, would you be able to get it dismissed on grounds like these.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption