What to do if I bought a carbut it was not the same year that I was told by the salesman?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I bought a carbut it was not the same year that I was told by the salesman?

Also, I was that it was all wheel drive but it’s it not. What legal action can I take with this company?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If they violated the contract or agreement of sale--e.g. the contract said "Four wheel drive 2010 Murano," but it's really a two-wheel drive 2009 Murano--you could sue the dealer. You may be able to do one of the following: 1) force them to take back the car they gave you and give you the right one; 2) take back the car and give you your money, fees, etc. back; 3) keep the car, but get the difference in value between what you bought and what this one would go for. Even if the contract itself is "silent" as to these specifics (i.e. doesn't identify year and 4WD), but the dealer represented (or stated or promised to you) that you'd get a car with 4WD, of a certain year, it's possible that the misrepresentation (or lie) made to get you to buy the car may be enough to let you rescind the contract. From what you write, there is a good chance you have some legal rights; you should speak with an attorney about the best option for enforcing them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption