Can the state of garnish my pension for taxes owed?

UPDATED: May 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the state of garnish my pension for taxes owed?

I owe back taxes to the state. Can they garnish my social security and pension to recover these these taxes? I am no longer employed and collect only social security and a small pension.

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with ana ttorney in your are on the matter and how state law will apply.  Generally speaking, Social Ssecurity and Pensions are not able to be garnished except for Child support and/or alimony obligations, past unpaid and/or overdue Federal taxes, Federal income tax liability for the current year, Money owed to another Federal agency to pay a non-tax debt owed; and overdue federal tax debts (up to 15 percent of each monthly payment until the debt is paid.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption