Which type of bankruptcy should I file for can I file without a lawyer?

UPDATED: May 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which type of bankruptcy should I file for can I file without a lawyer?

I am in about 3,500 worth of debt. I don’t have a job and I want to stop getting harrasing calls from collection agencies and court letters.I don’t own anything in my name besides my checking and savings. I only own my personal belongings. What type of bankruptcy can I file for, and is it possible for me to file without a lawyer? Are there any lawyers that help you file bankruptcy for free?

Asked on May 26, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can file Chapter 7 bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which may eliminate your debts, depending on the type of debt you have.

You can file without an attorney.  You might want to check with Legal Aid to inquire if they handle bankruptcy without charging you. You will still have to pay the court filing fee unless you can get a waiver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption