Can the police write a ticket for failure to use a crosswalk.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police write a ticket for failure to use a crosswalk.

My daughter’s schools is a ‘school choice’, i’m not sure if its
officially a public/private/charter school if that matters. There is
a large median separating the school’s parking lot from the public
street. There is another large median/sidewalk separating the
parkinglot from the driveway in front of the school. The crosswalk
leads from the parkinglot to the school. A police officer recently
told me they would write me a ticket if i didn’t use the crosswalk
next time. I wanted to know if they had the legal right to do that.

Asked on March 4, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Jay walking (the common name for this offense) is not vigoriously enforced in most jurisdictions... but it's still an offense if you don't use the crosswalks.  If they have suddenly decided to go 'Barney Fife' on everyone and enforce an ancient, pedestrian offense, then yes, they could legally write you a ticket.  If they are serious, then you need to use the crosswalks.  If you have an issue with the policy, talk to the school administrators about changes needed to their policies and handling of parents for the offense of 'jay walking.'

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption