Can the parole board send you back to prison if your parole officer thinks you are not staying at your residence?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the parole board send you back to prison if your parole officer thinks you are not staying at your residence?

My boyfriend is on parole and was at my house doing laundry so he had his backpack with his clothes. The parole officer went to his apartment and he wasn’t there so he checked here and my boyfriend was at my apartment down the street around 7 pm about to do laundry. The parole officer took him into custody and he is now on a parole hold. His name is on the lease at his apartment and his belongings are in his room but his parole officer does not believe that he is staying there. When my boyfriend sees the parole board will he go back to prison. His parole ends in November of this year.

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The action by the parole officer sounds a little severe for what your boyfriend did.  Are you sure that there isn't more to the story than meets the eye?  Your boyfriend needs to get an attorney as soon as he can.  He needs to produce evidence that he is residing in his apartment - the lease that you spoke of, utility bills, proof of payment, etc. I fail to see how even the presumption that he was staying at your house would result in such a severe retaliation by the officer. Does being at your house by any chance, constitute a violation of probation?  Could that have been the problem?  An attorney will help to set things straight.  And if it is possible maybe he should request a change in his parole officer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption