Can a credit card company take funds from an account that is under someone else’s name but which I’m authorized on?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a credit card company take funds from an account that is under someone else’s name but which I’m authorized on?

The credit card company won a judgment against me and the funds were taken from my friends account that I’m authorized on.

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the issue: your name was on the account.  Although I donot know in what capacity you are in the account for and why, the fact that you are listed on there is all that matters.  What you are going to have to try to do is to go to the bank and file something that will allow them to stop the garnishment.  An exemption.  You are going to have to state that the account has going in to it no funds of yours at all and prove that.  I am unsure that this will work but you need to try.  Otherwise your friend has to close the account and open a new one without your name on it.  Preferably at a different bank.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption