Can someone sue me a year after a dog bite?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone sue me a year after a dog bite?

My American Bulldog bit my son’s friend on the nose over a year ago. It was an accident. The boy sat on my dog’s leg and the dog reacted. She did not viciously bite him. She was quarantined for 2 weeks. At the time I told the mom I would pay half of the doctor bill. She told me they had insurance and not to worry about it. Now the dad is asking me to pay half of all the co-pays and half for the laser treatments to treat the scar. What are my rights at this time?

Asked on October 20, 2016 under Personal Injury, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As long as the statute of limitations has not expired, you can be sued by the parents of the boy who was bitten by your dog.  If the case is settled, NO lawsuit is filed.
As the owner of the dog, you are liable for negligence for injuries caused by the dog.  Your liability would include the boy's medical bills and pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports. Since the boy has a scar, that may result in a substantial amount of compensation for pain and suffering.
If the child was bitten on your property, it would be advisable to contact your homeowner's insurance carrier which may provide coverage.  The child's parents can then file their claim with your homeowner's insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption