Can she really sue me even when i didn’t know that my work check was going to bounce?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can she really sue me even when i didn’t know that my work check was going to bounce?

about 3 weeks ago i cashed my work check at a check cashing place. this week i received a call from the owner of the place saying that my check bounced, saying that if i didn’t pay her that she will sue me. I told her to call my boss and he gave her the number to corporate office to claim her money. Can she really sue me even when i didn’t know that my check was going to bounce?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes; a person who cashes a check is liable for that check if it is dishonored, can't be paid, or bounces. That doesn't mean that the owner of the check cashing location has to sue you--she could try to work it out with your corporate office--but she has the right to sue you if she wants, if you do not voluntarily pay. You in turn may have a cause of action against your employer, to recover your own costs or losses. Your intentions are irrelevant in this context--all that matters is that your check bounced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption