Can owed property tax from the previous home owner be waived or negotiated down in price?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can owed property tax from the previous home owner be waived or negotiated down in price?

I am in Stockton, CA- San Joaquin County.
There is about 500 owed that I was not aware of. I guess from the previous home
owner. My mortgage company handles current tax payments.
It’s a Single Fam. Res.
Thank you in advance

Asked on September 27, 2019 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it can be negotiated, in that the collector's office can agree to accept less than the full amount (or could agree to waive the amount), but for $505, it's absolutely not worth hiring a lawyer to help you. It's also not worth the time or cost of litigation. It is worth the conversation to see if they will waive (very unlikely) or reduce (less unlikely) the amount, but if the won't, the most cost-effective thing to do is to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption