can my x wife stop me from getting my tools out of a garage on her property

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my x wife stop me from getting my tools out of a garage on her property

I sighed over the house and property to my x wife now she will not let me get my tools and equipment out of the shop on her property can she stop me from doing so .

Asked on September 25, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, she may not: one person may not take or withhold the property of another. She can put reasonable limitations on *when* you can get it--e.g. to schedule it with her at her convenience--but if she is being unreasonable or not cooperating, you can bring a legal action for unlawful "distraint" (withholding of your property) to get a court order requiring her to schedule a time you can get it. If you don't want to hire an attorney to help you (though doing so is advised), you should be able to get filing instructions and/or sample forms from your county court, either online or in person. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption