can my wife travel with a travel document

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my wife travel with a travel document

my wife and i got married on april 19, 2017 she just got her i-131 on march we
wanted to go to europe but people are telling not to leave yet can i go out
without her risking the case.

Asked on April 3, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

it depends on what her status was at the time you filed for her adjustment of status.  if she was already in the US unlawfully before that, then she should not leave as she will not be able to return.  the fact that she was issued the I-131 is not an indication of whether or not she should use it and whether it is safe for her to do so.  you should discuss the particulars of her immigration status with an immigration attorney to understand whether it is safe for her to use this document for travel abroad.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption