Can my wife change the ownership of our business without my consent?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife change the ownership of our business without my consent?

We are listed as partners on our state registration.

Asked on July 13, 2013 under Business Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean change the ownership?  

Is there a partnership agreement?

What powers does she have under that agreement?

If she exceeded those powers, her actions are invalid.  

Licensed in Georgia

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, one owner may not unilaterally (on her own) change the ownership interests of any owner, including herself; she can't give herself a larger share, can't take away some or all of your share, etc. She is, of course, free to create a new business wholly owned by her, if she likes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption