Can my landlord lock me out of the garage I have belongings stored in when I havenever been late with rent?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord lock me out of the garage I have belongings stored in when I havenever been late with rent?

I want to know if its legal for them to do this and what can I do legally?

Asked on November 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord has purposefully locked you from gaining access to the garage that you are presumably renting as opposed to negligently locking you out, what was done is improper and may be the subject of a civil action by you.

I would call your landlord regarding the need for you to get access to the belongings you have in the garage and follow up the call with a letter memorializing the conversation. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If the landlord does not give you access to your belongings within a reasonable time period, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption