Can my in – law have myself only evicted from the marital home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my in – law have myself only evicted from the marital home?

My home and property has been titled in my husband’s grandmograndmother’s name for the entire 9.5 years of our marriage. My estranged spouse has been in and out of the home for the past 4.5 years while continuously committing adultery because I was ordered not to try to keep him out even though he left on his own accord. Now because he is ready to be back in the home and I refuse to make any further attempts at reconciliation I have been served with eviction papers. The notice does state

Asked on November 2, 2017 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the home is titled in your husband's grandmother's name, she us the owner; it is her house. While your husband could not remove you from a house he owns, protections against being removed from the marital home do not apply when the home is owned by someone to whom you are not married. The grandmother may decide who may live in her home, and she may remove you, because it is her home, not yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption