Can my ex-husband ask any price for a house we are supposed to sell and split the profits?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband ask any price for a house we are supposed to sell and split the profits?

He said his lawyer said because there was no set amount in divorce he can ask whatever he wants.

Asked on September 2, 2015 under Family Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

He can ask any "reasonable" price--a court would have no problem finding that even though there was no specific set amount in the divorce, it is implied that he can only ask for a reasonable price--that asking for a too low or too high price would be to circumvent the intent of the divorce order or decree. That said, what is "reasonable" for a house is a wide range, since it may be reasonable to take 10-20% off a house to sell it fast...or it may be reasonable to hold out for top dollar. If your ex's price is anywhere in the reasonable range, it is apt to be legally ok.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption