Can my employer make me go to part-time but hire someone full-time to replace me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer make me go to part-time but hire someone full-time to replace me?

The company I work for has a new girl in charge and she wants her friend to do my job. She keeps telling me that I have to go to part-time and her friend is going

to be full-time. I have been there longer than either of them. Can they do this

to me?

Asked on September 12, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Does your treatment constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination (which it does not appear to) or does it violate the terms of an employment contract or union agreement? If not, then while unfair and unprofessional, it is legal. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a business can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes who to employ full-time and who to employ part-time. At this point your only options are to either accept this new schedule, complain further and risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption