If I can’t win my case, how do I do a plea bargain?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I can’t win my case, how do I do a plea bargain?

I was in an accident which I was put at fault for failure to yield while turning left. I am in the state of Georgia and I was going to say it happened because of lack of visibility due to bushes and trees in the median. If this doesn’t work how do I ask the judge to reduce the fine and drop points?

Asked on January 10, 2017 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't plea bargain after trying the case and losing: after all, if the state has already won and proven you guilty, why would they plea bargain? What incentive do they have? The state (i.e. the prosecutor) plea bargains to make sure he or she wins something--since trials are never certain, it's always possible to lose; the proscutor often lets you plea to a lesser offense, accepting that you will have a lesser punishment in exchange for being guaranteed you will get some punishment. But once you've tried the case and lost, they don't need to offer you something lesser to get the win--the already have the win. If you want to plea bargain, you have to do so *before* trying the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption