Can my doctor discharge us with 30 day notice

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my doctor discharge us with 30 day notice

My husband and I are both disabled and have been seeing the same dr. for over 6 years. He has been prescribing us oxycodone 30 mg 150. As well as morphine sulfate and Xanax and gabapentin. The reason we are being discharged is alleged cocaine urine. Unmonitored pee in cup where water was available in a residential bathroom setting We fear the withdrawal will be severe. Is this legal/ethical to discharge us and what are our rights?

Asked on November 22, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal and ethical. There is no legal right to keep seeing the same doctor, and a doctor has no legal or professional obligation to retain patients whom he no longer wants to see, whether due to finding cocaine in their urine or any other reason (even simply that he doesn't like them or want them as patients anymore). You can't force a doctor to keep seeing you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption