Can my 20 year old daughter get her speeding ticket reduced in any way?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my 20 year old daughter get her speeding ticket reduced in any way?

My daughter was heading back to college this morning and was pulled over
and given a ticket by a state trooper for going 81 mph in a 65 mph zone. i
believe she said the state trooper was using a radar device.

Asked on November 27, 2017 under General Practice, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

She almost certainly cannot successfully fight or challenge or dispute the ticket: in my experience representing clients in traffic cases, 1) the officer is properly trained on the device and the device is propertly maintained and calibrated; and 2) courts always believe the trained, sworn, neutral (i.e. no personal stake in the outcome) police officers over the drivers (who do have a personal stake in the ticket). Ergo, the court is going to believe the speed reading.
However, courts prefer to settle, rather than try (i.e. have a trial) cases like this. If your daughter has an otherwise clean driving record, there is a reasonably good chance that the prosecutor will offer her a plea to a lesser offense (e.g. fewer miles over the limit; or sometimes to an offense with a larger fine but no points). She should show up early to make sure she has the chance to speak to the prosecutor and speak calmly and respectfully to him/her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption