Can I takeDUI classes in another state?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I takeDUI classes in another state?

I got a DUI 4 years ago. I paid my fine but I moved to another state to take care of my 83 year old mother. I have been thinking and I think I was supposed to complete a 12 or 24 hour DUI class. I have checked and I have no warrants but I was wondering if I could take a class here?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Montana


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It could not hurt.  There are a couple of issues here.  First, the court probably gave you a year to complete the course.  In which case, you have violated the order anyway.  Second, the court usually wants the course completed by a pre-approved provider. 

You have quite a dilemma here.  Because if you call the court to set up a time to meet with the judge, you might put yourself on the radar.  That said, the prosecuting attorney could file an order to show cause against you. In which case you could find yourself facing more fines and further treatment/classes.

How you handle this case depends on how far you are away from the court.  If you can get on the court calendar, you could get before the judge and ask him to accept your out-of-state class.

Of course, you could always complete the course in your state and file it with the court. They may or may not accept it.  Anyway, it is better then never completing it.  At least you would have done everything in your power to complete it.

 Hope this helps

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption