Can my domestic assault and battery case be dropped?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my domestic assault and battery case be dropped?

I was recently charged with assault and battery on my girlfriend. She allegedly told the officer that I hit her on the arm, their were no bruises and she refused to write a statement. This is my first offense and I have no criminal history. Is there anyway this case could be dropped and if so what should I do?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were charged with domestic assault and battery, there is a possibility that the charge could be dropped by the prosecution due to an uncooperative witness, your girlfriend, and the absence of physical evidence of the alleged crime.

Whether or not that happens is ultimately to be decided by the district attormey's office. One way to possibly get the charge dismissed is for you to retain a criminal defense attorney in the matter you are writing about. He or she possibly would be able to persuade the district attorney's office to dismiss that matter involving your girlfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption