Can I sue a college for breach of contract?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a college for breach of contract?

In 2009, I enrolled in college. During the admissions process I was denied entry into the surgical tech program because of a felony conviction on my record. A week or two after my denial, I was called in to have meeting with the program director. The director then asked me about my record and how long ago it was. I informed her that it happened in 1996. She said let her look into it. Approximately a week after that. I was called to come in and do my financial aid and I was approved to do the program. I was a month before going on externs, I was advised that I could not finish due to my felony. However, this was discussed before and accepted. What are my legal rights?

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Business Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

From the way that you have written the facts here it appears that you may have a valid case against the College for their actions.  Either the program director dropped the ball or someone did.  I would consult with an attorney in your are on this matter.  Not only have you paid for the program (and I am assuming that you will continue to pay for it long after you leave) but you lost an entire almost 2 years of your life in the program.  You could have directed yourself in to another program that would have accepted your felony conviction without question or at least it would not have made a difference in your obtaining the skills that you needed.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption