Can I sue the makers of amytryptaline

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the makers of amytryptaline

Hi, I am a 47 year old women who started taking amytryptaline for 9 months. I have

never ever had a problem with my ears until now. On the 9 month of taking this

terrible medication my ears started to ring and I started feeling sick and having

symptoms of Mnire’s so I stopped taking it because I felt like it was the

medication. I went to the ENT and after testing me he said I have Mnire’s. There

is NO warning on this medication that it can cause such a terrible and life altering

disease. Can I sue them?

Asked on March 16, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

IF you can prove with medical evidence that the drug caused the condition/disease, then you could very likely sue. You need scientific evidence to show causality: it's not enough to say that you "felt like it was the medication"--your feelings have exactly no weight or value in court. (Similarly, the fact that the condition/disease came about while you were taking the medicine means nothing--it could be a coincidence, the same as if it would not be the medicine's fault if  you were hit by a car while on it.) So the first  step is determining if there is medical evidence for what you believe; if there is, then you can consider whether to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption