How do we get unclaimed shares of stock that belonged to our mother?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we get unclaimed shares of stock that belonged to our mother?

I was searching the unclaimed Ca. money
and found that my mother has 502 shares
of Ross Inc stock. She had been employed
for many years at the Ross Corp. She has
been deacesed since May of 2015. She did
not have a will, but she had made my
brother Power of Attorney. However since
her death he has not done well, drugs,
homeless and nowhere to be found. I
guess I was wondering how to go about
finding out if this is something we
should look into and how to go about
getting it. If it is 502 shares, that
would be over 39,000. Do we my sister
and brothers the rights to claiming

Asked on March 7, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

On the website for unclaimed property for California, you can either download or have the state mail you the forms for affidavit of heirship and the claim form.
You and your siblings will each receive equal shares of the stock.  To claim their share of the proceeds, each sibling submits his or her own affidavit of heirship and claim forms.
Ignore any offers from companies that will help you obtain the unclaimed property in return for a fee which is a percentage of the total value.  Obtaining and submitting the forms yourself is very simple and you don't need to pay any fee to any entity to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption