Can I sue the city street department?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the city street department?

I was driving down the road and heard a noise and pulled over. I thought it was a tire being popped and it turned out to be a piece of metal. A piece of metal went through my car on the passenger side lucky no one was on that side but now I have damages to my car, basically a hole in the bottom of my passenger side on the floor. I had my 14 month old son in the car and this is defiantly not safe and I want to know what to do.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Accident Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorrt for what happened.  It must have been terrifying especially with your son in the car.  But unfortunately I doubt that you can sue the City for the damages. Unless they created the condition (in some way causing the negligence) or were aware of a condition created and failed to act, you can not sue.  There has to be "notice" of a condition likely to cause damage.  Possibly your car insurance?  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption