Can I sue my former employer for defamation of character if I was falsely accused of theft?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my former employer for defamation of character if I was falsely accused of theft?

My fiance was accused of stealing money from his employer. He asked for a copy of the videos in question that supposedly showed proof of him doing this. We have viewed them backwards and forwards and have found no such evidence. So we requested a pre-ttermination hearing which will allow us to present our case to the county manager. But we have recently found out that they are claiming he admitted to the theft, which he did not admit to it. What can we do legally?

Asked on June 19, 2011 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are two different issues here:

First, as to termination: if the rules of your workplace provide--and without relevant exception, and not subjec to a manager's discretion--that you are entitled to hearing or certain processes or procedures before termination, then you have to get them. But if the rules of your workplace do not, in unequivocal terms, provide for such protections, your boyfriend can be fired at will. So unless your boyfriend as either an employment contract (including a union agreement) or very firm rules otherwise, he can be terminated no matter what the evidece.

Second, if a factual allegation of theft is being made against you boyfriend to any third parties (e.g. by a manager at work to other employeees or coworkers), and that factual allegation is false and damages his reputation, he may have a claim for defamation; this might entitle him to monetar compensation, but would not prevent his termination. If your boyfriend feels this is case--negative untrue factual claims or allegations being made against him--he should consult with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption