Can you sue someone for giving you an STD?

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you sue someone for giving you an STD?

About 3 years ago I had sex with someone and they gave me general herpes and some other STD’s. I just wanted to knew if I could do something for all the pain this person put me threw?

Asked on June 19, 2011 under Personal Injury, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue is fault--that is, from a legal point of view, did the other person do something wrong? Fault in the law if predicated on either negligence (unreasonable carelessness) or willful (i.e. deliberate or intentional) acts. So if your partner knew that he or she had an STD and had unprotected sex with you without telling you, or should have known (based on his or her own previous partners and their medical history, for example) that he or she had an STD, then that person might be legally at fault  and liable--i.e. you may be able to sue them. If they themselves had no idea about the STD, though, they would not be liable.

However, another significant issue is the statute of limitations, or how long you have to bring a lawsuit. After 3 years, you may be running out of time--or may possibly have already run out. If you want to explore this, consult with an attorney (personal injury) *immediately.*

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption