Can I sue my ex husband for monetary damages for threatening and harassing me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my ex husband for monetary damages for threatening and harassing me?

I have been divorced since 1999. However, my ex husband continues to this day to
periodically leave me screaming, threatening voice mail messages. He does this
when he is mad at something one of our adult children have done that he does not
approve of, and blames it on me. He constantly threatens my job. I am so tired
of this that I started to record his messages. Our children, who are also tired
of his treatment of them, do not bother with him anymore, and he also blames
that on me. I cannot take this abuse anymore. I want to finally press charges
and sue him for monetary damages, since money is the only thing he truly cares
about and the only way I will be able to get him to stop. I live in

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your ex for intentional infliction of emotional distress which is an extreme and outrageous act intended to cause and which does cause you emotional distress.
Your damages (monetary compensation) can include punitive damages which are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful acts of your ex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption