Can I sue my company for ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my company for ?

I work on a corporate-owned assembly line that requires safety glasses to be worn at all times. What we build we dip in windex to check for air leaks. We dip our safety glasses in the same windex multiple times a day to clean them because they get dirty quickly. What we build contains oil and 100% of the time leaves oil in the cleaner that we use to clean our safety glasses, sometimes resulting in irritated, itchy eyes. Nobody at the company has ever told us not to clean our safety glasses in the windex. New Link Destination
day, my eyes are so irritated that I’m wondering if we are safe being so exposed to this oil and if I may have a case against my company for unsafe practice or endangering employee health in some way.

Asked on January 31, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You probably can and may wish to report them to OSHA for unsafe conditions: OSHA may be able to require them to improve worker safety.
As for a lawsuit: remember that lawsuits only provide compensation for actual injuries or medical costs or lost wages you suffer. If, as we hope, you have not suffered any permanent illness, eye damage or other health injury and have not incurred large medical costs or been rendered unable to work, there is no point in suing: for just "irritated" eyes you would get very little, if any, money. If some health problem materializes, however, that would be a different story and a lawsuit may well be worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption