Can i sue my boyfriend for wrecking my vehicle and expenses that resulted because of it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i sue my boyfriend for wrecking my vehicle and expenses that resulted because of it?

He had permission to drive my car. He
was at fault for the accident. It was
totaled. He refused to pay anything
towards the car or the towing fee. And
also refuses to pay anything extra for
the 3-4 hundred dollar jump in my
insurance from it. I got a new car and
my insurance is now crazy high because
of this. And insurance company states
unless I can provide proof he doesn’t
live here he has to remain on policy.
Also have another car payment now for
new car. If I can sue him how long do I
have to do so?

Asked on January 26, 2018 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If someone damages you car through driving carelessly or negligently (i.e. was at fault), they are liable, or financially responsible for the costs directly, necessarily, and foreseeable flowing out of the accident, such as the lesser of the repair costs or the then-current fair market (or "blue book") value (if the car is totalled); a towing fee; rental of a replacement car for a reasonable time while you get a replacement. If some of these costs are reimbursed to or paid for (such as by insurance) you, you can sue him for the part *not* paid--e.g. for a deductible.
2) You can NOT sue him for the increase in insurance, since that does not not necessarily or inevitably flow out of the accident--the rate is under the control of a third party, the insurer, and he bears on responsibility for the insurer's pricing decisions. You may wish to get competitive insurance quotes.
3) You can sue him for up to two years after the accident in your state, under IN's "statute of limitations" (time to sue) for damage to "personal property" (anything not real estate, such as a car, is personal property).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption