Can I sue my sister in law for telling to others thatI had an affair with somebody which is not true?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my sister in law for telling to others thatI had an affair with somebody which is not true?

She doesn’t have evidence.

Asked on November 2, 2010 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to sue her for defamation. Defamation is the pubic (which means to even one other person) making of false factual assertions (so a statement that you had an affair, which is a factual assertion or statement, would qualify if it is untrue) which damages the other person's reputation and/or makes others less likely to do business with that person (which the statement that someone had an affair and cheated on his wife would tend to do). You may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney to determine, based on the circumstances, how strong your case is, what it might be worth (i.e.  how much you may be able to recover), and also what it might cost to pursue the case.

Remember: truth is not defamation, so if you have had an affair and she does obtain evidence thereof, it's not defamation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption