Can I sue a company for breaking a contract?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a company for breaking a contract?

New Link Destination
make a long story short, this company out of Pittsburgh, PA called Davison, took my idea and turned it into a product. It cost me over $14,000 total for them to do this for me. Last year they said that they would send me a packaged working sample of my product. I signed this letter telling them to send it and that I would not hold them responsible if the mailed sample was lost or stolen. They sent me nothing I have asked them 2 times already to send this sample to me and all they do is ignore my requests. New Link Destination
me they broke our contract. Do I have a case to file a lawsuit?

Asked on May 11, 2019 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes: contracts are enforceable in court. When someone violates a contract, the other side can sue them for that breach, to get what the contract entitles them to, to get their money back, and/or to recover for other financial losses (if any) they suffered.
If the contract says where you have to sue (i.e. which courts to use in the event of a legal dispute), you'd have to sue there. If not, you should be able to sue in TX, since they contracted with a TX resident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption