Can I sign away my parental rights and release myself fromfinancial responsibilities?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sign away my parental rights and release myself fromfinancial responsibilities?

We have a 5 year old. We have 50/50 custody. My ex is an absolute nightmare and the stress that she causes on a regular basis is causing problems in my current marriage, my work and my health. She is a vile, vindictive human being and I just don’t want to fight anymore. Every few months it’s back to court. Tomorrow we have an emergency hearing to hear some crazy accusation that she’s now making just out of spite. I just want this woman out of my life even if giving up my daughter kills me. I just can’t do it anymore. I want to severe all connections with her, including financial.

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The stress and craziness that you are feeling must be very overwhelming for you to even consider such a drastic remedy of giving up custody and your rights to YOUR daughter.  I can only imagine what must be going on to drive you to that point. A court will not let a parent relinquish rights if there is no other person stepping up for the child, like a new parent adopting the child.  Do you think that maybe a better solution would be to have your daughter live with you in a more stable environment?  At some point you need to ask the court to sanction her for frivolous matters.  Once she is hit continuously with sanctions she will stop.  I know that it is difficult but you need to look at who will really be hurt in all of this.  The child that loves her Father.  She will never understand what you wish to do has nothing to do with her and not her mother.  And her mother will use it against you in a horrible manner too.  Please see if there is another way to deal with your ex.  In the end your daughter will see things for what they are.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption