If my husband failed to provide me with health insurance as per our divorce decree, is he liable for convering my medical bills?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband failed to provide me with health insurance as per our divorce decree, is he liable for convering my medical bills?

In the divorce decree my husband is supposed to provide me health insurance. He screwed up and I went 2 months without it. During that time I went into the hospital, neither of us knowing we didn’t have insurance. I have a lot of medical bills. Should he be responsible for paying them all?

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good evening and thank you for posting to our site. To get right to your question the answer is a gray one. If your husband failed to comply with the terms of the divorce decree and as a result you have incurred a number of medical bills I would suggest that you consult a local attorney as this would be grounds for initiating a civil action against him to recover the monies due.

However, as far as the medical provider is concerned you are liable. Thet will not care that your divorce decree said you were supposed to have insurance. Basically you will b responsible to pay your bills but you do have a cause of action against you ex to recover the monies you paid as a result of his negligence.

You would be best served y consulting a local attorney to handle this matter as it will require filing an action against you ex and then pursing collection of those monies assuming he doesn't immediately comply. Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption