Can I request the manufacturer to pay for the broken engine when my car was just out of the manufacturer’s warranty?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I request the manufacturer to pay for the broken engine when my car was just out of the manufacturer’s warranty?

A few days ago, my friend heard a noise coming from the front of her car 2016
Land Rover. She took it to a dealer and was told that the engine was broken. It
needs replacement which will cost more than 20,000. Her car is 7000 miles beyond
the warranty mileage 50,000.

Asked on November 2, 2019 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can "request" in the sense that you can ask, but there is no way to mak ethem pay if they choose to not do so. A manufacturer is not liable or responsible for an engine breaking after three years unless this is covered under a warranty--but you write that the car is past the warranty mileage; therefore, the warranty no longer applies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption