Can I receive any financial compensation from past injuries suffered 25 years ago in a car accident if they still persist?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I receive any financial compensation from past injuries suffered 25 years ago in a car accident if they still persist?

I was hit by a car in 1986 at 5 years old; I sustained a fractured hip. The driver was found to not be at fault and the insurance was found not liable. The state of NJ stepped in and settled the case, agreeing to pay for my medical expenses up until I turned age 21. I’m 30 now and still deal with hip problems that are getting worse as the years go on. Is there anything that I can do to get financial compensation? At the very least, do I have a chance at a disability claim?

Asked on June 17, 2011 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If the case was already settled, it typically cannot be reopened again.

2) Furtheremore, 25 years ago is unfortunately too long to bring a new case; the statute of limitations will have long since passed.

3)  You may be entitled to certain forms of support or compensation, such as Social Security Disability; you should consult with an attorney with disability and administrative law (e.g. dealing with social security) experience.

4) Note that since employment and housing discrimination against the disabled is illegal, you may have the right to certain accomodations at work or in rental housing (for example: if you have trouble standing, the employer may need to, if possible, allow you to sit more at work, even if that means some changes in your job duties). This is something else you can discuss with your attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption