Can I provide a written agreement stating which cars may use my driveway to park in?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I provide a written agreement stating which cars may use my driveway to park in?

The landlord of the house next to me built a fence and partial driveway on my property while land was vacant. When I purchased the home we had the property lines assessed and staked out and he was over the property line by 2 ft. He moved his fence but left the deck and still parks his vehicles in our driveway partially. Can I make a legal court document stating only those with our permission may park there?

Asked on December 30, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can require him to remove the deck at his cost--he has no right to park even partially on your land--and/or can prohibit him from parking on your land at all. Therefore yes, you can limit the number or identity of cars which may park on your land by written agreement, and/or require him to pay something for the privilege, and if he won't agree, take him to court for a court order barring him from parking on you land,  and/or requring removal of the deck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption